Monday, January 3, 2011

The Redbook Experiment: Brain Child

For Christmas, my great husband, Rick, got me my first subscription to Redbook. I didn’t know he had such a great insight into my female mind—although, it might’ve been the subtle hints I’d given him.
Me: I want Redbook for Christmas.
Rick: OK.
Now that I have my first copy, I am in love with Redbook. I love how the articles are targeted toward young mothers who don’t want to lose sight of their femininity, health, and professionalism in the spit-up-and-mashed-banana panorama that is motherhood. I am particularly drawn to the health and exercise articles. Why? Because, health-wise, I’ve had a chunky journey.
After my first was born, I had trouble dropping the additional 50 lbs that I gained, and to make matters worse I was already overweight when I got pregnant with Lane. I struggled with my weight, watched it fluctuate with my moods, and tried a plethora of diets. Nothing worked. I didn’t lose much, and what I did lose I didn’t keep off. Soon, I began having other health problems, and I couldn’t get pregnant again. I was devastated.
I visited with my gynecologist to see if he had any suggestions about getting pregnant, but the only suggestion he made was that I get tested for Insulin Resistance. So I did. Woe and Behold, I had it. I was in mid-twenties and nearly diabetic! I couldn’t believe it.
Following doctors orders, I cut out sugar and most of my carbs and began exercising 3 times a week. I lost 7 lbs in the first week and 30 by the end of the month. But most importantly, I got pregnant with my son.
Vin was born in the Spring of 2008, and I went right back to my diet and exercise plan. Barely any sugar. Barely any carbs. Regular work outs. In the years that I changed the way I lived, I lost a total of 55 lbs!
But according to all the charts, I still have about 20 lbs to go. And I want Redbook to get me there.
http://www.redbookmag.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...