Monday, January 10, 2011

Week 2-3*: January 9th – 22nd

Weight: 164 lbs.
Hips: 43 in.
Waist: 31 in
Weight Loss Plan: I’ve deemed this week’s strategy The Top Chef Recovery Plan (pp. 116 of the Jan. 2011 issue of Redbook

Imagine you had a job that required you to eat a gourmet meal every week. Sure, it sounds fab, but before you know it the calories add up and your pants need an elastic waist band.
This is the kind of situation Padma Lakshmi faces as the host of Top Chef. Fortunately she developed a way to drop the 10 lbs. she gains each season, and via Redbook, we now know her secret.
Here’s the plan that I’ve affectionately titled The Top Chef Recovery Plan. It isn’t much different from Sweeney’s plan, but there are addendums.
Diet Don’ts:
  • No sweets (Migraines have tapered off from last week, so I’m hoping I’ll lose my cravings for sugar this week.)
  • No red meat (In my dreams, I’ll be running towards a steak with legs to the Chariots of Fire theme song.)
  • No alcohol (I still don’t drink.)
  • No cheese, except low-fat cottage cheese (gulp)
Diet Do’s (These are what Lakshmi actually eats for 3-4 weeks to take off the Top Chef pounds):
  • Veggies like peppers, onions, garlic, etc. (Easy.)
  • Brown rice (I don’t even really like white rice.)
  • Fish (I love me some tilapia and salmon.)
  • Egg-white omelets (Leaving out the yoke seems slightly blasphemous, but I’ll willing to try it.)
  • My attempt at an egg white omelet. More like scrambled egg whites.
  • Spice up your food instead of loading it up with creams and butter. (Can do.)
While nursing, she also has:
  • Toast (Plain? Yikes.)
  • Grapefruit (What about clementines? Those count, right?)
  • Garbonzo beans (I don’t think I could pick out a garbonzo bean in a bean line-up.)
  • Turkey burger (Now, we’re talking.)
  • Vietnamese noodles with chicken or shrimp (You had me at noodles, though I draw the brows together at “Vietnamese”. We’ll see.)
Unfortunately, I’m not breastfeeding at the moment—never thought I’d say “unfortunately” about that—so I’d be cheating if I did the last five bullets. I’ll let you know mid-week how I’m doing.

Exercise:
Lakshmi doesn’t have a lot of time to work out because of the new baby and what-not, but really what woman does? We’re mothers, teachers, moral-leaders, housekeepers, chefs, bakers, gardeners, activists, employees, hobbyists, philanthropists, volunteers, and the list goes on. To fit in her workouts, here’s what Lakshmi did and what I’m going to do too:

  • Run stairs for 45 minutes (Uh…what? Seriously? I’m going to shoot for 20 minutes and work up to 45. Maybe. Ah, Geez. Why am I doing this again?)

  • Jump-rope (My daughter has a Dora the Explorer jump rope somewhere in the garage. It’s probably long enough for me too.)

  • And trim the tummy with side planks (I gotta hold it for a minute? A minute?!)

  • * Here’s the tough-y about Padma Lakshmi’s plan. She recommends doing this for 3-4 weeks. However, I still have another celebrity plan from the January issue of Redbook to cover, and I’ll need a week for that. So to really give her suggested diet and exercise plan a go and not compromise my Redbook Experiment, I’ll give her plan a 2 week try.
    And there you go. Maybe I’ll lose 2 more lbs. this time. Here goes nothing…but El-BEE’s.
     

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...