Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Week 4: Instinctual Dieting

Most of us recognize Bethenny Frankel from The Real Housewives of New York City. She’s an up-front new mom with a New York Times Bestseller and can-do attitude. Having followed the first couple seasons of New York Housewives, I was really excited to give Bethenny’s diet a try; I mean would you look at her! So skinny and perky and gorgeous. Anyway, I was excited (note the past-tense) until I realized that much of her plan revolves around following one’s instincts. Well that’s fine for you, Bethenny, but I don’t trust my instincts. My instincts lead me to a pant size that my daughter can’t even count to. (Not true. My daughter is in kindergarten and can count to one-hundred and does so constantly. I have never fit into size 100 pants, if there is such a thing. What would that even look like? Mr. Kool-Aid?)
Frankly, Frankel, your plan scares the hell outta me.
[deep breath]
That said, I read and reread Bethenny’s Q & A session (see p. 119 of the Jan. 2011 issue of Redbook) and here’s what I deemed the Instinctual Dieting Plan:
Diet:
·         Treat your diet like a bank account. (OK. Calorically speaking? I can do that. I know from research that an active woman, like me, should eat between 1200-1500 calories a day in order to lose weight.)
·         If you want something high in calories like…I don’t know…say—and this is just off the top of my head—brownies, then balance the rest of your meals so that you don’t exceed your caloric intake. (Got it.)
·         Don’t binge. (It’s the “Food is Fuel” mentality. No problem.)
·         Don’t eat out of emotion. (Well that’s easy…three out of four weeks of the month. [nudging my female friends in the ribs])
·         Don’t eat your friends. (Wait. That can’t be right.) Bethenny says, “Food is not your best friend or enemy” (119). (I was way off. But if food were my biggest enemy I'd buy it a cat. [nudging my Gleek friends])
Exercise:
·         Yoga for 40 minutes 2-3 times a week. (cake. But I’m not as flexible as I used to be. I used to be pipe-cleaner bendy, now I’m more like sterling silver flatware. When I'm old will I be as bending as plastic flatware? [sigh])
·         Flat-belly move: Boat pose. (Yeesh. Looks confusing. But the side-planks took an inch off my waist, so I’m a believer.)
Instinctual dieting, huh? Well, Redbook, you haven’t steered me wrong yet. In fact, in the three weeks I’ve been on the Redbook Experiment, I’ve lost 6 lbs, an inch off my waist, and an inch off my hips. I guess I can try trusting my instincts. My favorite quote from Bethenny--the quote that gives me hope in succeeding this week-- is, “Diets are cookie-cutter, but lives are not” and that my friends is the diet gospel truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...