Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Scallop Po’boys to Celebrate Mardi Gras

Happy Mardi Gras! A few days late, true, but where I live now, maybe 1 out of 10 people even know what Mardi Gras is.
As some of you know, I lived in the South for a few years as a teenager. Although there are many things I appreciate about the South, the food is numero uno. Shrimp po’boys are my all-time favorite! A hero roll, dressed with mayo, lettuce, tomatoes, and a generous pile of fried shrimp to top it off. Needless to say, I had to try the recipe for Scallop po’boys on in the LOOK, COOK, EAT! section of the March issue of REDBOOK (Chernetz 166).  I’d never had scallops before, which I found strange, since I love trying untraditional foods. Once, I had sausage-d alligator on a stick straight from a vendor on Market Street in the French Quarter. It tasted like sausage-d alligator from a street vendor on Market Street in the French Quarter. It was so hot outside that day that sausage had sweated itself dry. I’ve also had frog legs and elk/wild boar sausage. The latter crumbled right out of the sleeve. [grimace] But somehow, I’d never tried scallops, at least not that I could recall.
Here’s how my recipe turned out:

The published recipe has 659 calories per serving, but I made a couple of changes to trim that number (Chernetz 166). Instead of a white hero roll, I used two slices of Sara Lee 45-calorie-per-slice, wheat bread and very little light mayo. I figure I cut back the calories by at least 150, and that fit my plan much better. Good recipe, REDBOOK and Barbara Chernetz. Thank you.

King Cake
PS – REDBOOK, do you have a low-calorie version of King Cake? [she asked hopefully, lashes fluttering…What am I flirting for a cake recipe? OK, scratch the lashes thing. Last time I batted my lashes in a food establishment (which was WAY before The Redbook Experiment), I ended up two brownies even though I only paid for one. True story. But seriously, I’ll throw the next Mardi Gras party if you can get me a recipe for King Cake with cream cheese filling that isn’t going to ruin a month’s worth of progress.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...