Monday, April 4, 2011

April Week 1: No Meat Mondays

The diet goal this week will be adapted to the whole month of April and is as simple as the title.

During the month of April (on Mondays), I will refrain from eating MEAT.

YOU: What difference will that make?

ME: "[I'll] be thinner and healthier" according to REDBOOK's "Good to Eat" article in the April 2011 issue (188). Apparently, plant-eaters weigh less than meat-eaters by 15%! Crazy, right? Also, cutting out meat to replace it with healthy foods, like nuts, can help ward off heart disease (188).

YOU: Cool. Good idea, Rena REDBOOK.

ME: But wait! There's more! Going "meatless" saves money, too!

YOU: How? [confused face]

ME: It's simple. [using infomercial voice] Meat is more expensive than veggies. You could potentially save $1,000 a year by participating in "Meatless Mondays" (188). Now that's a savings you can't pass up!

 YOU: [Screws up mouth] Still, I'm not entirely convinced. If only "Meatless Mondays" supports a cause of some kind...

ME: As a matter of fact, it does! [grin...hold it...hold it...breathe, and...] "Meatless Mondays" helps save the planet! What better cause is there? According to the article, "Skipping meat for a single day saves up to 890 gallons of water (that's what it takes to process a 1/4 lb of beef.) And if the US population did meatless Mondays for a year, we'd save 12 billion gallons of gas" (188). (But seriously, that's a heck of a lot of water. And gas.)

YOU: SOLD! I'm going meatless on Mondays!


[We high five. Camera freezes on the impact. Behind a montage of Earth photos, both real and cartoons. Theme song: "We are the World". Montage ends on a cartoon shot of the world hugging a steak cow.]


This is what the world would look like if it had its own infomercial.
Good thing it leaves that to us.

I know I sound sarcastic here, but I'm really excited about the prospect. So far, I've had no trouble with this goal.

REDBOOK has a full article on tummy tucking too, which I'll blog about later, but know this, I am focusing my workouts on Abs this week. Specifically the 3rd disc in the Hip Hop Abs set. It's a doozey. [doosey? do-sie? doo-sie?]

Wish me luck, dieteers!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...