Tuesday, November 8, 2011

There's something fishy going on.

And it isn't salmon.

It's tuna.

Lame joke? Ah well. Gimme a break. It's 10:12pm on a day I managed to get my kid ready for school, finish a deadline, work-out, shower, get my other kid ready, take my laptop to tech services, run to the grocery store, dodge construction zones, babysit, bake pumpkin muffins, do dishes, pick my kid up from school, vote, pick up my laptop from tech services, get gas, pick up my husband from work, make dinner, get reacquainted with computer (which has been damaged for a week. There may have been dramatic smooching involved. A lady never kisses and tells.), work on a lesson plan, read the funniest Bloggess blog post on planet earth (On that note, an earth in which mice dressed as Hamlet and pillow menus can co-exist is a world I'm happy to live in) and blog.

Anyway, the tuna joke that we already established as BAD, relates to dinner, which was GOOD. I tried out a REDBOOK recipe from the November issue. It was something that Hungry Girl suggested on p. 176, a healthy tuna-stuffed red pepper for a quick low-cal, high-protein meal.

I don't really know why I picked this one to try, because:
a) I'm not a big fan of tuna.
b) I'm even less a fan of peppers, unless they're grilled alongside some spicy strips of steak. Yum-ME. (By admitting that, do I break some kind of dieter's Cardinal rule? Ah well. You all know how many times I've gone to confession over this stuff. I'm not even going to start to tell you how much candy I stole from my kids ate. Let's just say Nestle prolly had its version of "Black Friday" based on my consumption alone.)
We were all inspired by Joss Whedon. (I'm Jane Austen, so I guess technically she inspired him.)

Encinderarme Zurgeouso! (or something)



Where was I?

Right. Tuna.
The REDBOOK recipe I tried.

So I tried the recipe with some tweaks. I mixed the tuna with Vadelia Onion salad dressing, some carrots from my garden, and used green peppers instead of red, but only b/c they were out of red ones at the grocery store. Also, I topped it with cheese. I figured the calories per stuffed pepper was close to 200. I would totally make it again too.

They were better than Indiana Jones.
The downside: The kids touched their food about as much as a Nazi descendant would hug the Arc of the Covenant. And Rick. I dunno. He gave me that "I liked it, but I'm still full from lunch" line, which if you have a Rick Babel fish, you know means, "I'm not eating anything encased in a vegetable". Seriously, I could serve a Turducken, but if it were placed in say...a hollowed-out pumpkin, Rick wouldn't touch it with BBQ tongs.

The jury's not out with me though. I loved it. Good job Hungry Girl. And I'll be making your "World's Easiest Chicken Empanadas" very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...