Sunday, December 4, 2011

My gingerbread house will be made of ricecakes and low-fat cream cheese.

My grocery list this week includes:
  • milk
  • eggs
  • almond roca
  • sugar-free mints
  • lettuce
  • bananas
  • yogurt (reason: on p. 186 of Dec. issue of REDBOOK, it lists yogurt as the "#1 food for weight loss", adding "people who upped their yogurt intake--eating at least one serving a day--dropped almost a pound every four years". According to Dr. Dariush Mozaffarian, yogurt is "strongly linked with long-term weight loss" (186). That's good news for me. I'm in it for the long-haul. Although I do wanna lose the last 8 lbs in 6 weeks. Phew. This is gonna be a rough December.
  • whole wheat pasta
  • spinach leaves
  • peanut m&ms
  • almonds
  • Splenda (reason: I've cut out sugar again, and I'm counting my carbs religiously. I need a replacement sweeter for my vampire-strength sweet tooth.
  • Crystal Light with caffeine 
  • Sweet potatoes (reason: Yams are December's Superfood, according to REDBOOK. What's so great about sweet potatoes? Well, when they aren't bathed in brown sugar and butter or blanketed with marshmellows, they are super healthy. They are full of fiber and have beta-carotene, which is good for the eyes. Plus on spud only has about 100 calories! Sweet! ...potatoes. har. har.
  • whole wheat tortillas
  • sour cream
  • pork tenderloins (reason: I'm going to try the recipe for Pork and Pepper Fajitas on p. 184 of this month's REDBOOK. I'm using low-cal ingredients, but normally they are 631 cals and 71 carbs for 2 tortillas. I think I'll be able to pare down the cals a couple hundred calories by not using guacamole and by replacing the reg. tortillas with whole wheat ones.
  • stocking stuffers
  • tape
  • Twilight on Blue Ray
  • barf bag
  • fruit
  • cheese
That's it. Have a good week everyone. And might I add, if you don't wanna blow your diet this December, replace your candy snack with a piece of fruit or an ounce of almonds. Blue Diamond makes some YUMMY flavored ones that have no more calories than the plain ones.

Plus, I tried the mint trick (eat a mint to pacify a sweet tooth), and it really worked! I was at a birthday party yesterday for my nephew, and the kids were decorating ginger bread houses with piles of m&ms, marshmellows, gum drops, licorice whips, Skittles, and candy canes. I was tempted, but the only sweet thing I had that day was a sweet pepper from the veggie tray and a mint. Go me. Diet - 1. Diabetes - 0.

Also, if you are a religious-type, add a fast this month by skipping two meals and focusing that time on helping and praying for the needy. Also donate the money or canned goods that you might have used on those two meals to a charitable organization. Let your sacrifice be helpful to someone else.


2 comments:

  1. Sugar free maple syrup in the sweet potatoes is divine. Also, sprinkling it with crumbled bacon ups the divinity factor, but also the calories (although not much, really, if you use a light hand.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the barf bag on the grocery list:-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...