Wednesday, August 8, 2012

New Blog Name + 10K = The Spartan Experiment

I renamed the blog.

Welcome to The Spartan Experiment, a blog about my workout and diet attempts and my goal to become a strong, athletic woman. I chose The Spartan Experiment as the new title, because Spartan women focused on child-rearing just as much as physical training; two goals I'd like to achieve. (However, I won't be adopting every cultural practice of Sparta. Moms, you know what I mean.)

Anyhoo...now that that business is taken care of, I ran my first ever 10K!
The Wasatch Wellness 10K.
Yes. I did it! I ran 6 miles in a competition against male and female runners from all over Utah, and I came in 4th in my age division! What! [fist bump] My time was 1 hour and 6 minutes. Not awesome, I know, but enough to make me smile.

This race meant more to me than achieving a personal exercise goal. 

I chose the Wasatch Wellness as my first 10K, because it supports mental wellness as well as physical health. Depression, anxiety, and ADD run in my family, and I ran this race for those who have been suffering from these illnesses.


Kristin and I. Both new to running and loving it.

I ran it for Rick.
He needs my support as we've been battling some of mental health challenges over the past several years. It's been really hard, but I'm so glad I pushed through the last couple miles (even though they were the hilliest miles of the course. Really, Course Engineers? Why'd you do that to us? The last beat of the race should be all downhill if you ask me.) ((and yes, that can be read metaphorically about life and trials too.))

Just after running my first EVER 10K. So psyched! I can't believe I did it. (me, Trevor, Kristin)

I ran it for me.
Exercise isn't about looking hot for other people. It's about feeling good, looking good, and strengthening myself. It's about that calm I feel as I run. The way stress melts away like sweat from the brow. It's about clearing my head and shutting out negativity and white noise. It's about the euphoria I feel after a race.

Mental health is just as important as physical health. And they usually affect each other.
I ran it for God.
Running's about pushing my limits and thanking the Lord everyday for the ability to strengthen the body I have. It's about appreciating its functions and capabilities. I didn't realize how much I missed my health, until it was gone. Five years ago, my sugar addiction aimed a double barrel shotgun at my uterus, and, thankfully, I had enough sense to back away slowly, instead of mocking it by shoving a Snickers bar in my mouth.

I ran it for lots of reasons.
I ran it for charity.
Wasatch Wellness helps people with mental illnesses get the help they need. They provide services that struggling people might not have been able to afford were it not for the 400 + runners at this annual race.

I came in 4th in my age division! Sweet!

Pooped after the race.
Run for your family. 
Run for yourself. 
Run for God. 
Run for the world.

1 comment:

  1. Hooray for mental health and overall wellness!! A topic near and dear to my heart ;) I LOVE the Paleo recipes. Please keep 'em coming as I'm trying to kick refined sugar at the moment. Way to go Rena!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...