Here's a list of some of my favorite tips. Sources not included, however, because I don't remember where I heard, read, or viewed most of the info.
1. Drink 1-2 liters of water in the morning before you eat anything. It helps flush out the toxins in your cells and body so that you can fill them with proper nutrition. Side bonus: it makes you feel fuller longer. Then, don't stop. Don't stop drinking water all day. Shoot for 100 ounces if you can, but 80 is my average.
2. If you must snack, snack on veggies, fruit, or nuts. My faves: baby carrots, celery, 1/2 of a banana, apple slices, clementines, cherry tomatoes, pecans, almonds, cashews. You have to be careful with the nuts though. I tend to snack on nuts like potato chips. However, if I take a handful, and put the bag away, I'll be fine.
|apple slices with almond butter|
3. Curb the sweet tooth with sweets. Not like 1/2 a cheese cake or a pound of almond roca (as I used to do), but with a handful of dark chocolate chips or 3 slices of dried mango.
4. Be honest about the consequences of your food decisions. Instead of saying that you are being "unhealthy", say that you are "careening towards diabetes and heart disease". And if that isn't enough to motivate you, visit a relative with these same problems and visualize that person as you. You'll have to take the same medicines and/or shots, doctor visits, surgeries, etc. Ask that relative what they wish they would have done differently to avoid their plight. Scare the hell outta yourself with the honesty of the situation. And then remind yourself (if you are a parent) that one day your own children might be asking you these questions. How different do you want your answers to be?
5. Create a tangible goal. Stating that you want to lose "some weight" or even "10 pounds" isn't tangible enough to trick the mind into daily motivation. But if you have an outfit that you want to be able to wear, trying it on and watching your body shrink week by week helps you sustain focus throughout your weight loss efforts.
|Me in my prom dress last year. =)|
|Running for a cause and with my kids is a form of motivation|
7. Change up your workouts often. I like the workouts that are inherently fun. Hiking, Zumba, dancing, running, snowboarding, swimming. Routines can get boring, and your muscles will also get bored. Change it up to exercise different muscles and to prevent slacking off.
|Hiking to Calf Creek Falls|
|My students say it looks like moss.|
9. Shop in the produce and meat section of the store. Everything else tends to have too many harmful chemicals added to it. Eat whole foods when possible.
|Paleo chicken (Not cooked yet.)|
10. Cut out refined sugars. Get your sweets from honey, agave, or real maple syrup. Flavor with spices rather than sugar or creamy sauces.
|Paleo chocolate chip cookies|