Sunday, June 23, 2013

Rad Race #7: The results were colorful.

The Color Me Rad race (7th race in the Runolution) had to have been the most fun I've had running a 5K, which granted isn't unusual for me. The having fun part. You don't run 13 races in a year if you're indifferent to running. But what made this race more fun was that it was a weekend affair with two of my besties.

My college friend Nicolette and I drove to downtown Salt Lake on Friday night, had dinner in the City Creek Mall, did a little window shopping and tried on shoes (because a trip to the mall requires hitting all the best shoe sales). Then we went to a store that was literally called, The Art of Shaving, with a proprietor who resembled a high-end barber (vest and all), and in the corner there was this leather studded chair straight out of an A&E movie introduction. I half expected a guy in a ascot to sit down and say, "Let me tell you a little story of Buffy, a slayer of the vampyres." Of course, I couldn't stop making jokes about it and the lemon-scented shaving cream, which, to me, was the equivalent of putting Kitchen Lysol on a man's face. If the shoppe wasn't closing, I'm sure we would've been kicked out anyway. Shooed out with a broom.

Then Nicholette and I drove to my friend Janet's house, who I've known since 1st grade, to crash. We got to meet her sweet puppies, all named after anime characters, (I snuggled up with the  one that looked most like Spike, but shhh...don't tell him or I might find the severed head of a My Little Pony in my bed tonight.) and caught up on all the happenings from the last time I saw her, covering the life's milestones that couldn't possibly be posted on social media. It was girl heaven. =)

By the next morning, Nicholette and I walked two blocks to the SLC public library, where the Color Me Rad race was constructed sometime during the morning, and barely made the 8am circuit. The were thousands of people there, and we were doused in yellow before the gun went off. (Actually, I think some guy in a silver suit yelled "Go" in a blow-horn.)
Before pic: Nicholette and me

After shot.
 Every kilometer or so there was a "color station" where we were either voluntarily hosed down in liquid color or pummeled with the handfuls of neon cornstarch.

The color stations slowed our progress exponentially, as the runners bottled neck around the Color Me Rad employees. Needless to say, I DID NOT meet my goal to beat my 6th race's time. In fact they didn't even give us timers. I had to ask a guy what time it was when we crossed the finish line. I finished the race in 45 min. Or less. I'm not entirely sure if we started right at 8am.

After the finish, we got killer pics and joined the dancing party emceed by the silver-suited hirsute dude with the microphone (replacing the megaphone). We danced with the Color Me Rad mascot, an Easter bunny in a t-shirt, slapped beach balls around the undulating rainbow-faced crowd, and got fumigated by a purple cyclone from a fire extinguisher. It was awesome. (5,000 times better than the Color Festival at the Lotus temple.)

Race #7 was a success. Fun was had, and I can cross it off my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...